Sunday, April 18, 2010

I miss Taiwan...

Welcome 2 Taiwan!
Hahaha...no lar...didn't travel to Taiwan.
Just went to Joo Chiat in search of Taiwanese food since Yong had to head to Katong to get his contact lenses...
Some of the food (& drink) reminded me a little of what I ate in Taiwan some years back.

滷肉飯 or braised pork with rice.
Was a little different from the one we ate in Taiwan.
I remember the one in Taiwan - they used minced pork.
This one was fatty pork.
It did taste similar to the one I had in Taiwan despite the difference in meat.

Didn't eat this in Taiwan but ate a similar rendition at 油条大王.
This was the pork floss with egg wrap.
I would say this one isn't as crispy as 油条大王.
But it's not as dry as 油条大王.

Other 小吃 that we ordered to share - Fried Spice Chicken, 臭豆腐 and 锅贴.
The 臭豆腐 wasn't that bad as it wasn't that smelly.
Also the Suan Cai that came with it was not bad.
锅贴 was a little normal but the ginger and vinegar had a tad bit chilli in it.
Probably won't order it the next time.
Lastly, the Fried Spice Chicken was pretty good.
Doesn't really taste like the one we tried near Rainbow Hotel but it was ok.
I miss the XXL chicken chop from Shilin.
Can't find anything in Singapore that can really compare to that yet..

Last but not least, the item that made me miss Taiwan even more....

BO BA NAI CHA!!
Bubble tea!!
Aside to Siti, see the foam on top of the tea? That's the way it's supposed to be.
I can't seem to find a closer taste than this to the Taiwan one.
Some might say that S$2.50 for this is pretty expensive (ok ma..Koi also about there) but I think this is as authentic as it gets out of Taiwan.
This is shaken by hand too.
The pearls were pretty Q and the size was just about right (not too big or small).

I told Yong that if I ever miss bubble tea, this would probably be my choice.
Can tabao =)

Think now a bit sore throat after all the fried food...

1 comment:

  1. i missed taiwan food too....
    we go in dec??? ON??
    meanwhile.. u tabao for me??

    ReplyDelete