Friday, September 4, 2009

Bali - White-water Rafting @ Ayung River & Yong's Birthday Dinner.

Another day of planned activity that Karen has recommended - white water rafting. Since it was our first rafting trip and not knowing what to expect, I chose to go to Ayung River which has a III Rapid river. The other river, TelagaWaja River, has a IV rapid. I will definitely try Telaga Waja if I ever go back to Bali. To start off the day, we had a hearty breakfast! I had omelet and Yong had fried eggs.


The driver came to pick us up at 930am to head out to Ubud. There were several rafting companies at Ayung River, we went to Bahama Rafting. I have no idea why it's called Bahama Rafting.

Anyway, we paid Rp 300,000 to the cashier directly. This was the amount quoted by Polos so I guess the rafting company will give a cut to Polos company.

Me and the rest of the gang waiting for our turn to get suited up.
"Fitting Room"
"Fitted". It felt like Dragonboat days where we went in to grab our life vest and paddles.Haha..

It was a steep walk down to the river. This reminded me of the volcano climb but this place had stairs carved out for an easier down ward descend. The steps were steep!
Reached the bottom of the stairs. Here's the river!
At the start point where we begin our rafting.
After rafting for about 15-20 minutes, there was this place along the river where the banks had the most beautiful cravings. We stopped to take some photos and I wondered if these were like hundred years old. Around the bend of the river (which I found out later) there were craftsmen on the bank doing the cravings. Ya, laugh all you want lor..how I know!?

The other family took a photo for us.
The other family - Father, Mother, Daughter and Daughter's boyfriend. They are from Denmark. The odd one is the guide. The family has been in Bali for 2 weeks and were flying off the next day. At the waiting area, we saw them change to socks and sports shoes, Yong and I were in flip flops and shorts! I asked why were they wearing shoes and they said that the travel operator told them to wear snugly fit footwear. Erhm, ok. Well, they said that the shoes will dry - which was also true. They were a really cute bunch. The mom was a teacher and dad was retired. The guy was only 25!! He thought I was a student where in fact I am older than he was!

We had some bumps and splashes here and there. The one thing I remembered was the huge waterfall! No photos there but the feeling of the cold water splashing on to your head was really fun! And pain..nonetheless still fun. Only the 2 kids and us went to the waterfall as the parents wanted to stay in the raft. The water was really icy cold. There wasn't much 'falls' in the river and we got stuck at most of the submerged rocks. Our guide almost had to climb out of the raft to push the raft of the rocks. He kept saying to us that this was not a good job.
At the finishing point! you can see that the water kinda ended there but actually beyond that was a fall! No, we didn't go pass it. The ladies behind let out all the air for the raft and we could put all our gear there where they will bring it back to the store. Erhm, remember I said the climb down was really steep?! I totally forgot that what goes down has to go back up! I had the toughest time climbing up all the steep stairs! Anyway, it was shower and 'buffet' lunch after that before heading back to the villa.

As with Bali and Ubud area, we passed by plots after plots of paddy fields. Denmark BF asks us if Singapore is like Bali with all the paddy fields. We told him no - we have high rise buildings with very little agriculture in Singapore. I guess Singapore still not that well-known as a travel destination to people.
After reaching the villa, we went for a massage! Yes, again! It was really good and cheap there.
We (or rather I) decided to go and eat Japanese food! I saw this huge banner for 'all-you-can-eat' buffet of Wagyu beef steamboat at a Japanese restaurant.
Trusty motor!
Kaizan! Oh, when we reach than they told me that the promo ended a long time..haiz. Nonetheless, the food there was pretty affordable so we just ate there.
Bintang for Yong and Aqua for me!
Don't let the smiley face fool you - I was famished!
Yong ate the Korean BBQ beef - yes, Korean food in a Japanese restaurant.This was good but the lettuce weren't properly cleaned. Ami - we can bring Yong to eat Korean BBQ!
Yakitori. Each stick was about Rp. 4000 - Rp. 8000 ( S$0.60 - S$1.20).

I had my Wagyu Beef Sukiyaki! Different from Singapore - they cook the sukiyaki in front of the guest with a big tin flat pot. They use a gas stove there which will ensure that all the ingredients are cooked thoroughly. We switch off the stove only after we are done cooking.

Yummy!

As we were about done, we saw a fly landing on the chopsticks that was used by the staff to cook the Sukiyaki. No matter how we took photos and pushed the bowl, it stayed put.

Since it was Yong's actual birthday, how could we forget cake? I bought a slice of cheesecake from Kaizen and we brought it back to the villa to enjoy with a movie.

I think it was raspberry or strawberry jam with cheesecake. This was pretty yummy too.

Self-timer is an amazing invention.

After eating and while we were watching a movie, Yong took this photo! I switched on my office laptop to download office emails. Check if there was anything urgent for my attention while I surfed the net. Nice pose right? This position was really comfortable..Yong, we really need to go get the coffee table for our place.

No comments:

Post a Comment