Friday, May 29, 2009

Buffy's Injury.

Per my earlier post, Buffy got a very deep cut from her grooming last Friday. After a week, the wound has became worse and basically I could see the muscle tissues in the hole. With this, I decided to bring her to Dr Thiru (AMK Vet) as he's been the vet for Buffy since she was a puppy. Thing is, I felt that this cost should be beared by the groomer as it was their incompetence that resulted in the wound. I agree that Buffy is an active dog and she has suffered cuts with previous grooming but this time, the wound is so deep that it can't heal on its own. So, I asked Ami to tell the groomer/pet shop that I will be bringing Buffy to the vet and that I will be claiming the expenses against them.

This erupted into a heated discussion which made me realised that the groomer was not only incompetent in his line of work but also unprofessional.

Without listening to my reasoning, he was rude, loud and pushing the blame on the phone. He mentioned that my dog is an animal and that she moved while he was grooming her, dogs tend to be more tame and that Buffy was really active, when people walk into the shop dogs tend to be interested in finding out who they are and they move around etc - all these obviously pinning the blame of the wound onto Buffy. My thoughts - yes, she is a dog and yes she moves about but I am questioning the professionalism of handling the shaver. Knowing that this is an animal you are dealing with, shouldn't a groomer bear extra caution when handling a sharp object?

This was not all. I wanted Buffy to go to Dr Thiru as he's been treating Buffy for her tumor and skin problems early this year so I insisted on this. Without even bothering to listen to my explanation - they kept insisting for us to see their vet, saying that they've heard of experiences of other groomer's customers bringing the dog to see their vets and charging them the exorbitant prices since it was the groomers' fault and that their vet will give them preferential rates as they know them well or because they were from pet shop. They also mentioned that they charge only S$38 for grooming my dog and that they can't afford to pay my vet fees etc. My thoughts - firstly they were adamant that I was probably out to cheat their money and that my vet or I am probably unethical and the vet bills will come up to 5-600sgd. Or basically they have no trust in people or customers. Also, how will they know their vet is not 'cheating' their money if they assume that all vets are out to 'cheat' money? Will I go tell my vet ' hey, my groomer did this to my dog and since they are paying for it - you can charge them higher rates...'? Am I stupid or are you saying that I can't afford it?

My most peeved part is that they say they are taking responsibility for this as most other groomers will probably deny or keep quiet about it. I thank them for being honest but this is not taking responsibility. If a groomer really has the heart in his/her job and such a thing happen, I think followup with the cut after 3-4 days or giving me the medication to put on the wound or bringing her to the vet immediately would be something the person have done. Imagine this to be your own dog, would you leave it as it is?

Yong fetched Buffy today to let Dr Thiru take a look at it and examine her. I realised that the vet last night never examine Buffy's physical condition such as her heart beat before anesthetizing her and sewing her up. I am not doubting the competency of the vet but I am questioning parts of what I saw. Yes, Buffy had to go through this pain again. She had quite a lot of stitches and even their vet said that the cut will not heal on its own if left alone. This was a deep wound and at a part of her leg that is prone to stretching which will aggravate the wound. So, bringing her to the vet was definitely necessary. Dr Thiru took a look at Buffy this afternoon and Yong told me he shake his head when he saw the number of stitches on the wound (mind you it was not 1-2 stitches, it was way more than that). She's a strong dog but I couldn't help control my tears last night seeing her come out after the stitching. I just feel that she's really been through so much this year and this kind of stupid mistake is really dumb!

Again, the owner of the pet shop wrote a piece of 'documentation' stating that it was our choice to bring Buffy to Dr Thiru and any complications arising from this move will be beared by us and they asked Yong to sign it on the spot at the vet today. Which part of taking responsibility was this???

In the end, I just feel that these people are not fit to be pet shop owners or groomers. Reasons? Firstly, they do not understand that the dog is not JUST AN ANIMAL! To us owners, they are more than that to us, they are our companions, they have feelings too! Second, no part of the whole experience proved to me they were sincerely out to 'take responsibility' for what has happened. Blame my dog or any other dogs for moving while you are grooming them - like Yong says - post a note on your door stating that you don't groom dogs that move - this will not create such problems. Saying 'sorry' doesn't just wipe clean your responsibility - the wound is still there and its my dog that has to suffer not you.

So to people that read this blog and to those who have pets - read this experience of mine and if you think you don't want to let some groomers with mindset like this grooming your dog - please stay away from


Pet Nursery at Bishan.