Sunday, August 5, 2012

On my bus ride home...

After the dinner and shopping with my sisters on Saturday, I decided to take the bus home instead of the train.
The buses nowadays have such fancy seat arrangements and the ability to release the pressure on the side so as to let people alight.
I haven't been taking much buses recently after we shifted to the brink of the city.
The train is the most convenient and fastest mean of transport now as compared to the place I used to stay.
Anyway, on the bus, I was surrounded with people although it was close to 11pm.
And it just dawned on me that everyone ( I mean EVERYONE) was watching intently into their smartphone!
All were watching dramas!!!

I was reminiscing the time that having a walkman was the 'IT' thing.
For those young people reading this post and have no idea what a Walkman is (FYI, this term is copyrighted by Sony), here's a photo (man I feel old!):

 Tadah! Ok, this is a old version la, got nicer models.
For those who have no idea what it plays - it's called a Cassette tape:

There's 2 sides to the tape and when one sides runs, you need to open and flip the sides to play the 'B' side.
I remember it was a norm for the 'Tiak' sound on the bus and then you'll see people flipping the cassette to play the songs on the other side.
Since a cassette (both sides) play for about a total of 45-60 minutes and they are pretty bulky to bring out, on our family trip to Tioman (an island in Malaysia), Ami and I flipped the cassette of Ant and Dec so many times I can remember the play list (...I give you my love, an eternal love...).
Ami, you remember?!?!
This really sucked because when the tape in the cassette gets stuck in the walkman or get mound or is faulty - there goes the cassette!
 Oh, there's a recorder for cassette too!
Anyway, post walkman was discman!
For those who were still not born:



I trust that everyone knows what this play - a disc.
We still use that now so NO photos!
This was better as there's no need to flip sides huh!?
Nope! problem with this was the 'jumping'!
When you walk or 'bounce' the music bounces!
What if the disc gets scratched?!

Anyway, there's one player not everyone knew about but I was lucky to have owned one before.

The MiniDisc Walkman!
How this works - you can use the computer (yes we had computers already) to load songs into a MiniDisc (MD) and it will play in this player.
MD can hold more music than a disc or cassette can.
About 2 hours or more depending on the size of the MD (just like the SD card, this is probably the great grandfather or something).
And play as you go.
This was more compact then the DiscMan and doesn't 'jump' as you walk!
Totally cool!!
But it was phased out really soon due to MP3 players.
Why record on a MD when you can load it straight into a player?!

That's the evolution of my little 'music' life.
Amazing what the changes have been!!
Now everyone watches dramas on their phones!!

Sorry this could have been boring but I just realised that it told everyone my age!!!
I hope I can still find all the photos online in future to show Kylie as well.
Well, memories...



No comments:

Post a Comment