Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Reminiscing..

I've got a colleague who is a vegetarian.
The vegetarian food stalls around our office have closed down one after another.
I got a message asking if I wanted to head to Guang Ming Shan.
Sometime back, we were saying that they provide free food on the 27th of every lunar month.

Thing was although the temple has changed - moved the dining area, built a new building (which blocks me old room's fireworks view @!$!#@!!), upgrading etc.
I can't help but remember the good old days where Po Po (my grandma) would drag me to the temple for these free lunches.
In those good old days, the dining hall wasn't air-conditioned, it wasn't as bright, there wasn't as much drinks or food selection and there were loads of people (there still is).
My grandma was a devout buddhist and she'll head to the temples that's next to my old house 3-4 times a month.
On my school holidays, I'm usually stuck in her house since mum and dad went to work.
She'll say to me, 'zeng zeng (my pet name in cantonese) let's go' (of course not in English but Cantonese).
And than we will walk to the temple, do our prayers and than head to makan.
There, she will ask me to walk faster to find seats and once we are seated, food will be served.
She'll pile the food on my plate which I can never finish.
But I did learn that vegetarian food (especially spring rolls) can be pretty yummy!
Since I was an ultra slow eater and I had to finish everything that was on my plate, we were always last to leave the table.
Those were the days.

My regret was that I never made it to the last extended family photo during my grandma's last birthday as I was throwing a tantrum about going downstairs (my grandma's family used to live one floor down).

Yeap, this is me with my granny.
I had thought that it was Ami due to the 'oldness' of the photo =X
But she reminded me of 1 startling fact, which I shan't share here, that differentiates us when we were babies.

That's my granny behind and I think I was maybe 5 years old?
It says 'A' on the cake as this was Ami's cake, not mine.
Ya, I had to take a photo with it coz it was huge!
I was always jealous of this cake!!

But I've got such a great sister that once she was given a Forever Friends teddy with the alphabet 'A' on it.
We were still pretty young and that kind teddy costed a bomb back then.
She knew that I loved Forever Friends.
She gave it to me saying that she hoped that I can score 'A's in my exams
Thus the 'A' on the bear.
See what A great sister I have?!

Also big thanks to my younger sis who, although took close to 1 week, scanned the above photos for me.
Leaving out 1 photo which could potentially make my younger sister 'dead' and maybe me paralyzed if I posted it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment