Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Un-planned Saturday - Part 2.

Part 2 of the un-planned Saturday - I'M GOING FOR THE NDP REHEARSALS!!!!!!
Yeap! We went for the rehearsals!
I've been lucky to have been to many, many NDP shows (regardless if it was rehearsals or the actual one).
Having been in 1 of the NDPs I have always given my utmost respect to those who have volunteered or 'forced' to participate.
You guys make the show happen!

So, after viewing the vehicles, Yong happened to call Eugene to see if he was in the vicinity.
Eugene mentioned he had 2 tickets for Sat night's preview!
I had to 'swap' my night of fun at Arena for Yong to go with me to NDP.
I don't know why I love to sit in the hot sun and see the show but it's just the pride of being a Singaporean and just being there to view the nation stand together in celebration.

Taking the MRT to collect the tickets from Eugene who seem to be working every year at NDP but I've never heard him complain.

Yay! The tickets!!!
Had a chill out session at Penny's Black.
I think Yong deserves it.
As much as he hates the sun, he's accompanying me to the show!
He carried my goodie bag too - weighs a tonne (I'm not complaining)




I took all the above photos with my Sony point and shoot camera.
Think it's time I upgraded to a DSLR?

 
My Kilkenny which I only drank 1/3 and Yong's Old Specklen Hen (not to mention the ice water).
After that we headed to the Padang.
They were blasting the music out loud along the way.
Bags checked, goodie bags collected and we headed to the 'Green' sector.

I was a trooper!
I wore a red top with white shorts!!
Pre-parade show - think this was the band.
They had really cute outfits.
If this shows on TV, do look out for them.
REALLY HOT DAY!!

Red Lions!
Yong told me that these guys train all their lives to jump for NDP.
Sad? I find it pretty proud.hahah..
After so many NDPs I'm still excited.hahaha...
National Anthem - I stole a photo despite being at attention =P
Flypass.
I was telling Yong, the pros had lenses that were as long as my forearm!
The planes look like dots in my photos!

We had another friend participating in NDP - Charles!
Basically, they are all Yong's BMT clique.
Can't see him so we took the big screen!
OIC for Sembcorp Marine.

Helicopters.
F-16 Bomb burst - I love this every year!
There was also the F15s that did some combat manoeuvres.

There was this little girl next to us that said she can't see when the Presidential Gun Salute happened.
I remember the first NDP at the floating platform where the guns were diagonally opposite the spectator stand.
Yong's mum and I got a shock each time the gun was fired!
It was really loud.
When we went back for the actual day event, I think they muffled it so it was a little softer.
Little girl, trust me - you don't want to be anywhere near those guns!

When I was little, I found the march pass a 'little' boring and I will always ask my dad what this was and what that was in front of the TV.
Maybe what made me really proud of being at the NDP was all the memories that it brings back.
Spending time in front of the TV with my dad and bombarding him with questions on the parade, being involved in NDP and giving my dad the preview tickets to the show which I was part of and seeing him brim with pride, going to the show with Yong's mum and dad and of course going to the show with Yong and having him explain the stuff to me every year just like my dad did.
I think all these are just some of the memories that I have of the NDP.

When night came and everything lit up - it was just breath-taking!
The lights on the opposite was like stars that fell to earth.
This year's show was divided into 4 acts.
Most Singaporeans do not know what our national flag symbolises.
I have to admit that I did not really know too.
So this year, instead of going back to tell you Singapore's past in terms of our development through the years, the focus was on our national flag.

The theme was 'Live Our Dreams, Fly Our Flag' - basically telling you what our flag symbolises.
What a wonderful way to go about celebrating our 45th birthday.
We need our roots to be able to grow into our future.
But sometimes what's the most obvious may not be embraced by everyone due to the lack of knowledge.
We fly our flag every day but how many Singaporeans really knows what it symbolises?

Red - Brotherhood & Equality
White - Purity & Virtue
5 stars - democracy, peace, progress, equality and justice
Cresent Moon - young nation on the ascendant

I have to say that it was pretty unique this year.
The other NDP which I found unique was the first floating platform performance.
The RSAF was able to fully utilise the air, land and sea for the display of their skills =P

Time to reveal their goodie bags this year =)
Sorry for the spoiler if anyone's heading to NDP on the actual day.
I got the patchwork bag.
The bag has compartments - 2 sides for water bottle and 1 zipper.
Made out of cotton which makes it good as a grocery bag.

Stuff inside.
It really weighs a ton.
2 bottles of water, 2 packet drinks, 1 box of sweet, more biscuits and 2 bread.
1 huge clapper (which Yong spoilt even before the pre-parade), stickers and tattoos,1 flag, 1 fan, tissue paper, wet napkin, 1 anti-bac spray, plastic bag (for your rubbish), 1 coupon book, 1 poncho, 1 parade guide book (love this as it has loads of info) and batteries (found in the zipper compartment).
I have no idea why they gave the box - maybe to better segregate stuff in the bag.
But the box did make the bag a little heavier.

That's all folks!
Headed to Ice Cold Beer to meet FJ for a little dinner and drink before heading home.
A really tired un-planned Saturday.
Yong had a long Sunday volunteering for YOG while I rested at home =X

No comments:

Post a Comment