Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Taiwan Day 2: Taipei-Hualien (Part 5 - Tunnel of 9 Turns 九曲洞步道).

Final post of the Taroko Gorge area.
It was really enjoyable for me to be there but it was also a wake up call telling me how fragile nature and life can be.
We headed to the Tunnel of 9 Turns 九曲洞步道 which was supposed to be another walking trail that allows one to see the folds, joints and faults of these marble cliffs who are so near to each other.
Before even entering, Mr Lu told us that 1 Chinese girl was on her way out and returning to the bus when a falling rock hit her on the head.
I'm not very clear if the girl passed on.
But this actually reminds us of the danger of mother nature and human advancements into these areas.
Nonetheless, we went for a walk in to the tunnel.

All tourist of this tunnel are required to wear a helmet.
Yong took this un-glam photo of me while I was trying to put it on.

Done.
Looks better.

Another sad thing - we only walked to 250 meters as the tunnel was closed due to falling rocks.

Dedicated to Michelle.

This was the end.
The white color boxes in front are toilets.
You see everyone congregated here taking photos.

We also take.
Was testing my safety helmet..haha..
The cordoned off areas behind me are the high risk areas where loose rocks will fall on.
You can also see the wall of the marble cliff's unusual surface.

Last photo and we headed out.
Mr Lu was so shocked that we took so fast and kept asking if we saw the toilet cubicles before turning to walk out.

The red bridge behind me is known as Cimu Bridge (慈母橋).
This was built by late President Chiang Jing-guo, in memory of his mother, during construction of the road. Cimu pavilion area is on the east side of the bridge, built by late President Chiang Kai-shek, in memory of his mother, Mrs. Wang.
The pavillion was built on a rock that looks like a frog which I could tell at one look since I'm afraid of frogs.
No photos on that.

This is read as 'Yue Fei Ting'.
This was the end point of a trekking trail for some adventure seekers who want to go deep into Taroko Gorge.
They will wait here for the transportation to pick them up.

I like suspension bridge!

Yong just want to get over quickly.
Mr Lu came and shake the bridge which only made me laugh.
Then he asked me if I was scared..no way!


The naughty boy.
You need a permit to trek the mountainous range of Taroko.
And Mr Lu says that there are limited slots.
I don't think I'll ever try as it takes 5-7 days to complete the trek -_-"


Like I mentioned earlier, it was summer and there was no typhoon.
That equals to no water in the river and no waterfall to see.

Mr Lu trying to block the sun so can't see his face.

The bright sorching hot sun.
We moved on to TianXiang area to see the famous 5 star hotel - Silks Place Taroko Hotel.
And also to see the temple seated in the hill.

 5 star hotel from the hill.

The tall White Robed Guanyin Statue.
There's also a  7-story high Tian Feng Pagoda, Giant Statute of the Bodhisattva, Xiangde Temple, and, in 1968, Daxiong Baodian temple, have been built on the terrace and have become popular spots for visitors and worshipers.
To those planning on heading over the Pudu suspension bridge to go into the temple.
Take the stairs one step at a time.
It's a real workout.
As usual, Mr Lu said that we were very fast in heading up and coming back down =X


Actually, there are some other scenic points in Taroko such as the Baiyang Waterfall or the Shui Lian Dong.
But they are also closed due to falling rocks that blocked the entrance.
Mr Lu mentioned that it will hopefully re-open at the end of this year.
I've seen some travel photos and they look like water wonderland.
Before leaving the gorgeous Taroko Gorge, I saw some flowers that I no longer see in Singapore.


Wild flowers have the strongest will to survive.
With this, I end my posts on Taroko Gorge.

No comments:

Post a Comment