Saturday, January 8, 2011

21 Dec: Day 5 (Part 3) City of Bath.

City of Bath was the place that I wished I had stayed for a couple more days.
This place was inscribed in the World Heritage site in 1987.
When I alighted the bus and saw the sight that greeted me, it was simply breath-taking.
It was like I went to Rome or something after my nap.

Isn't it something else?
Looks really different from what you'd imagine we'd see in UK.
 The city was first established as a spa resort with the Latin name, Aquae Sulis ("the waters of Sulis") by the Romans in AD 43 although verbal tradition suggests that Bath was known before then. They built baths and a temple on the surrounding hills of Bath in the valley of the River Avon around hot springs, which are the only ones naturally occurring in the United Kingdom.
My guide mentioned that all the place names have their reasons.
Like Bath because a Roman Bath was built there and all other places which I've forgotten..haha....

This was the entrance to a church.
Beautiful craftsmanship on the wood and very interesting too!


Not the same as the pump room in Singapore but this was to hold the pump that pumped out the spring water from below.

The Roman guide within the bath.
A tad too skinny to be a roman warrior.
But he's there to oversee the building of the Bath.

The bath was like a recreational meeting place in the olden days.
You get the full service - bath, scrub, rub, massage, steam (sauna) etc.
Also, they built a temple within the compound.


The bath is no longer in use but the water is obviously still flowing.
Apparently the water was flowing out which resulted in the discovery of the bath beneath.
I would love to spend a couple more days in this beautiful city next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment